3/8/09

New Floor height

8th March 2009

Grinding still going on and I have spent a few more days finishing the welding that needed doing
mostly under girders and impossible places to get to and I LEFT THEM TILL LAST...!!!
The outer hull is now fully complete and will only need grinding and sanding before the blast and the primer.

Some months ago I got a reference drawing from the designers showing a particular detail.

The other thing I noticed was that on that design, the saloon floor was higher than mine.

I totally ignored it till the other day. ...Why higher.?

So on friday I looked at it seriously. The other floor was 200mm (8 INS) higher. On mocking up a box and looking i felt it was too high, but the visibility was much better tru the front windows.
I then decided was it possible to raise the floor 100mm .
The view was better and still plenty of headroom.

My local supplier of steel had all I needed and the lengths were delivered friday evening.

One concern from the designer was not to add too much weight.
Total weight added 68.5 Kgs.

I started cutting out the floor girders this morning (Sunday) and by 10pm tonite it is 80% done.




100mm x 6mm flat bar 4.2 m long to sit on top of the bulkheads





I cut out the backing strips 100mm to allow the new plates to be welded. I cut blanks and scribed them and cut with the jig saw.



Bulkhead FR4 ready for welding



On the front bulkhead I added a 100 x 50mm box to build up from the angles and make the whole thing stronger,




Port side looking back completed.
As such its using all the standard parts , but just raising them.
I now have 100mm extra headroom in the engine room and more space to run ducts etc.
I will also run stuff tru the Box section on the front as there will be a hatch just underneath the box section.
Winner all round and the floor is better higher.
Hope to finish it tomorrow evening and cut in the steps for the aft cabin.
In Other news....
Stainless Steel water tank will probably get finished this week.
The grey water tanks ( 3 of them) are now basically designed should have them in a few weeks.



No comments: